SIRIF - Regional Education and Training Information System for LAZIOcrea
The ESF Professional Training Department of the Lazio Region, as part of the implementation of the Presidential Decree no. 257 of 12 July 2000, in implementation of article 68 of Law no. 144/99, has the objective of promoting the achievement of the higher compulsory education up to the eighteenth year of age.
The activities that allow you to achieve the goal of raising attendance at different degrees of training are not only those of the school, but also the professional and training start-up apprenticeships.
In this context, it is essential to create a series of tools that allow you to have reliable and up-to-date data on the set of interested parties who are the recipients of the interventions and the paths taken, information on the implementing bodies and on the other actors involved in the process in various capacities. The tools must be able to meet the needs of:
- support the Lazio Region in preventing, monitoring and contrasting school and training drop-out through the development of a regional schooling governance action based on the territorial coordination of all the parties involved;
- raise education and training levels according to the objectives set by the European Union;
- monitor key competences to support education and training policies through the preparation of planning and programming acts of intervention actions in the field of education and right to study;
- attuare il monitoraggio delle attività e la valutazione dei risultati in relazione alla programmazione delle azioni di intervento per l’area di competenza (istruzione/formazione/apprendistato).
Following the award of the tender called LAZIOcrea, CODIN designed and implemented the Regional Education and Training Information System.
The system creates a fundamental tool for monitoring and managing the phenomena of hardship, school dropouts and training in the regional territory of Lazio, building a registry, which starting from the regional registry of residents and using the database of the Ministry of Education and information from other Public Administrations, monitors and schedules resources regarding the activities of the Lazio Region and other local authorities involved. The system is thus able to return a clear reference framework of the phenomenon of enrollments, of passages from one institution to another, of frequencies, dropouts and irregular routes. The system is sized to manage data relating to the school population (in addition 200,000 pupils) and to be accessible to approximately 1,500 users from the Region, Provinces, Municipalities, School Autonomies, Employment Centers, Vocational Training Centers.
The solution identified achieves the following features:
- management of students' personal data, autonomies, schools, training centers and locations, courses, employment centers, businesses and school districts;
- school planning, aimed at the management and organization of schools / complexes and school autonomies;
- monitoring of Training through the management of the training life cycle of a subject that falls within the school / training obligation bracket;
- production of reports on general analysis, annual progress, drop-out rate, school, professional and apprenticeship training;
- gestione delle informazioni che caratterizzano la dispersione formativa;
- management of information that characterizes training dispersion;
- integration with the Open SSO-based regional authentication and authorization system.
The solution created is based on a "web based" architecture that implements the "three-tier" model, consisting of a web browser, Application Server and DBMS server. The implementation is based on the use of the .NET framework for the creation of the entire system, which is well suited to the creation of Web Based software applications and their extension through the use of additional components. The system is completed by the components made using products such as: Microsoft SQLServer, IIS, C #.
The project involved CODIN staff in the following services:
- context and requirements analysis;
- software development;
- education and training of system users;
- corrective, adaptive and evolutionary maintenance.
The project intervention led to the achievement of the following benefits:
- controlled management of the complexity of the information context;
- support to the Region in promoting coordinated action across the region between the various parties involved, avoiding overlaps and promoting the best territoriality of the actions (organic alliance between the actors);
- the data collected by the system allow the construction of a Data Warehouse and the use of Business Intelligence tools for the presentation of information and decision support during school programming.