Portal of Civil Protection Volunteer Services for Leonardo
The Civil Protection volunteering was born from the great spontaneous mobilization of citizens who, on the occasion of emergencies and disasters, make themselves available to help the institutions in the rescue works. These organizations can operate as an integral part of the public system alongside the other institutional components: National Fire Brigade, the Armed Forces, the Police Forces, the State Forestry Corps, etc.
The objective of the Department of Civil Protection (DPC) and voluntary associations is to create a service in the area capable of responding promptly to the needs of civil protection in full integration with the institutional forces present in the area.
The Civil Protection Department ensures the coordination of the Organizations, their "growth", their preparation and integration with the entire System also through the organization of exercises that simulate major events or through the financing of projects. The coordination of the Organizations and Volunteers requires the census and the correct "classification" for all that concerns the operational capabilities, the equipment of means, the range of interventions, etc. so that the Situation Room of the DPC can decide and activate in the event of an emergency and operate an effective Management of events and Operations.
In response to the needs of the DPC, CODIN has designed, implemented and managed the "portal for the management of civil protection voluntary services" for Leonardo.
The service portal allows the management of the structured structure of voluntary organizations and related operators located throughout the national territory. In particular, the system deals with the management of insurance coverage for volunteers, the monitoring of events and the administrative management of requests for reimbursement by subjects who are entitled to them as employers, Regions, Provinces and Organizations. The system is sized for around 3000 organizations and their users.
The solution identified implements the following management features:
- registry of organizations and volunteers who offer support to the National Civil Protection;
- emergency events, tutorials, training and major events;
- activation of the intervention teams for a given event;
- funding for programs to strengthen the structures of organizations in the field of volunteering;
- programs to strengthen the structures of organizations;
- reimbursements for expenses incurred in the interventions.
The creation of the Volunteering system is part of the general framework of the SNIPC Project, which will lead to the creation of an integrated system aimed at providing services that effectively and flexibly support all the operational and government processes of the Department.
The system is based on a Three-Tier Web-based architecture and is made up of Web-applications that implement the required functions by relying on a single database. The infrastructure on which the application subsystems have been implemented consists of the Liferay Portal solution and Oracle database.
The multi-year project involved CODIN staff in the following services:
- analysis of application modules and data;
- design, development and maintenance of the portal created;
- support for Test and Testing activities at the end customer;
- training for system users.
The project intervention led to the achievement of the following benefits:
- simplification and standardization of the obligations of the Organizations and employers;
- increase in the quantity and improvement of the quality of information held by the Department;
- definition and creation of a constant communication channel, between DPC and Organizations, Regions and Autonomous Provinces, on information data (for example, through automatic e-mails or notices in the electronic "bulletin board");
- streamlining, and reduction of time, in dealing with administrative and accounting procedures;
- reduction of on-site intervention times during emergency response operations.