AGI's new Journalistic Distribution System
AGI, the Italian Journalism Agency, is one of the main press agencies that collects, publishes and distributes journalistic information with news on the editorial, economic, industrial and public administration world, with specialized or general interest products and services built on the needs customer specifications and content for internet, intranet and mobile telephony portals. His business is centered on the ability to be inside the news, to grasp the facts live and to transmit them in real time in a simple and widespread way.
The constant increase in editorial services and users of IP services has highlighted the need for interventions in the AG, I News Distribution system to overcome the limits of scalability and performance that have become visible over time and continue to guarantee the reliability that has always distinguished the service rendered by the Agency.
The interventions, to be operated on the Distribution System, are focused on meeting the needs of:
- guarantee of complete and rapid information;
- improved performance and scalability of the solutions adopted in the news distribution system;
- increase of integration capacities between the different systems involved in the distribution of news;
- enhancement of the control functions of delivery services to users;
- rationalization in the use of resources dedicated to the satellite channel;
- guarantee over time of high performance in distribution;
- updating and optimization of management functions by restyling the user interface.
CODIN has designed, implemented and managed the New News Distribution System for AGI. The construction project was born as a response to the needs of the Agency and evolution of the previous solution based on MSD (Message Delivery System), exceeding the limits of functionality and scalability, to support the consistent increase in the Agency's business volumes.
The new system independently manages the FTP, SFTP and SMS distribution by integrating the MDS system for all satellite distribution functions. The system today manages a flow of around 1500 news per day.
The solution identified achieves the following features:
- management of input information flows from the Editorial System and other production systems such as the Content Managemet System of the AGI.it Portal;
- management of the sFTP channels for the activation of the "subscribers" in secure mode and MAIL for sending by e-mail and integration of the management functions of the FTP and SMS channels already present;
- availability of an intuitive interface for managing customers and customer subscriptions connected via IP protocol;
- NewsML format management and news generation in XML and FIEG formats;
- Power supply of the MDS system, integrated into the new Distribution System, with FIEG messages, for sending news on the satellite channel (DVB).
The system components are made in the J2EE environment and use the Java Message Service (JMS) API for the exchange of messages and the integration of external applications. The system integrates the TIBCO Randez vous Bus enterprise service. The MySQL DBMS is used to manage the master data. The solution is released on RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 operating system and JBoss open source application server. The system architecture is distributed, modular, scalable and extendable.
The multi-year project involved CODIN staff in the following services:
- analysis of requirements and technological environment;
- system design and development;
- corrective, adaptive and evolutionary maintenance;
- installation, configuration and commissioning of the implemented system.
The project intervention led to the achievement of the following benefits:
- certainty of delivery: the system allows you to know the status of sending news for each customer instant by instant, with feedback on the actual arrival at the destination of the news;
- greater ability to monitor the system by the personnel in charge, thanks to the presentation by the system of Quality of Service indicators, such as the minimum, maximum and average time of delivery of the news to the various customers, the number of attempts made to send the news, etc;
- improvement of the graphical management interface made more intuitive, thus facilitating user creation and modification of services.